Wednesday 23 October 2013

Developing My Layered Dress

To begin with I used a basic block pattern of a swing dress and continued with the same piece just shortening it each time, I sketched out what I wanted my dress shape to look like, knowing each layer would be different. I eventually used three layers on the back and four on the front as five tiers each side looked a bit to much. I then began to develop each layer individually before stitching them all together.  
Above is the back bottom layer of the dress that consisted of marbling inks around the shoulders and hem, then brusho dye to create a ombre effect as the dyes are much darker around the hem. 
This is the bottom front layer of the dress, that I created by using heat transfer paints and the heat press. I loved how the colours changed to pastel shades and think the layers contrast each other well.
After developing the bottom two layers, I started to begin the next tiers, these being;
- a machine embroided layer
- heat press of circulars shapes from a image I had continued from my postcard samples, onto the front and back top layers
- wax with fabric paint 
- mono printing
 Each layer was created or inspired by a mood board or a postcard sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment