Thursday 24 October 2013

Under The Microscope; Mood Boards

This sample was created  using the marbling technique, I initially looked at one of the sheep’s teeth I had  collected, once placed under the microscope I could see small circular patterns that marbling achieved a similar pattern  to. When I came to edit the sample the effects I used made it  become almost cosmic looking which I particularly like as it keeps within my colour theme. I then heat transferred  this pattern in circular shapes onto my fabric. I really like how its turned out as you wouldn’t think it was inspired by teeth, and there showing the beauty in something unexpected.
For this mood board I wanted to show how I edited my initial sample to develop it further. The original was made with the brusho inks then altered  using photoshop. I love how the texture was still visible and looks quite similar to alcohol under the microscope although the inspiration came from a moth wing, the colour theme also inspired my final layered dress design as I loved the mystical and  pastel shades shown. This was also the sample that I have chosen to develop for my final fabric, I am extremely happy with the outcome.
This board was what inspired the front bottom layer of my dress, both the samples were made with the heat transfer press, one with paint and one with heat transfer paper.  I liked how the colours are not lilac like the other layers and have more of a variation to them yet still quite muted and ystical as they took on a lighter colour once pressed. The bottom postcard sample was made when I looked at a variation of shells under the microscope which inspired the circular and odd shapes. I think the textures work well and don’t seem to thought out which I also like.
This board developed from a butterfly specimen which I recreated on my sample postcard using a mixture of wax and  ink. I then repeated  this technique on to two layers of my dress, I liked how the wax wouldn’t let the ink bleed therefore I could keep a certain shape on  the fabric where I wished to. The fabric sample is of mono printing which I also continued onto my layered dress, I liked how it was subtle but would still show a certain amount of texture where I wanted it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment